Re: [Dtls-iot] DTLS multicast security

"Rahman, Akbar" <Akbar.Rahman@InterDigital.com> Fri, 19 September 2014 11:27 UTC

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <Akbar.Rahman@InterDigital.com>
To: Ludwig Seitz <ludwig@sics.se>, "dtls-iot@ietf.org" <dtls-iot@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:27:48 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.247.134]
Subject: Re: [Dtls-iot] DTLS multicast security

Hi Dorothy,

I agree with Ludwig that having a secure multicast is considered a benefit by many.  For example, during the recent IESG review of the base CoAP Group Communication spec there were several comments made by AD's reflecting the need for a secure multicast solution to be developed by IETF.  See for example:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg05566.html

	"The lack of security controls is an issue, experimental
	would be good until it is resolved as there is a lot of work to be done
	in this space and it is active."

So, I think we still need to have a Work Item to develop a secure group communication solution.  However, perhaps we can modify the description of the Work Item and not have it exclusively linked to a DTLS-based approach for secure group communication.  We should allow for other approaches if people want to propose them.  But we should still definitely keep working on this topic (i.e. secure group communication).

A separate thought is that we may also want to progress the existing http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-keoh-dice-multicast-security/ but put it on an Experimental track.  That way we can get experience with the solution but not put it directly on Standards track.

Best Regards,

Akbar