Re: [e2md] Dean's Proxy-Shill Version of the Problem statement

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Fri, 14 May 2010 14:38 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Jim Reid <jim@rfc1035.com>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 10:38:31 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "E.164 To MetaData BOF discussion list" <e2md@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [e2md] Dean's Proxy-Shill Version of the Problem statement

We can't expect people who object to an E2MD working group to join this mailing list to voice their objections - this isn't even an official working group mailing list!  And even if it were, it's not reasonable for everyone in the IETF to join every IETF mailing list they don't like.  Only the people *interested* in the topic join a particular list, not people dis-interested in the topic.

The process of the IETF is for people with a common problem and goal create a charter to work on it, and that charter gets hashed out in public.  This mailing list is simply to help us hash out such a charter - not the place for the public consensus debate.  Dean's just trying to lay out what objections we'll face if we try it again.

-hadriel