Re: [Atoca] Requirement for Originator Authentication?

Art Botterell <art.botterell@west.cmu.edu> Sun, 16 January 2011 23:49 UTC

From: Art Botterell <art.botterell@west.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:55:57 -0400
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Cc: Igor Faynberg <igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com>, "earlywarning@ietf.org" <earlywarning@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Atoca] Requirement for Originator Authentication?

I suspect we'll find that different carriers/gateways will insist on being able to apply their own authorization rules, and thus that end of things will be distributed perforce.  By the same token, I don't foresee a single global identification/credentialling scheme.  The best we can hope for, I suspect, is a reasonable degree of reciprocity among authorities.

The first question, I think, is whether there's a use case for anonymity in authority-to-public alerting; not sure what that would be.

The next question is how far it makes sense to go in specifying the form of an identification scheme.

Thanks!

- Art