Re: [Ecrit] Comment on latest changes to phone bcp - dial strings

"Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com> Fri, 08 April 2011 15:08 UTC

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 11:09:39 -0400
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Cc: "ecrit@ietf.org" <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Comment on latest changes to phone bcp - dial strings

I think the point is that since we're talking about the *difference* between a normal phone and an ECRIT-enabled phone, we don't need to solve the dial-string interop problem.

If you assume the phone can already dial numbers, then the phone and the proxy already have some convention that they've agreed upon for sending dialed digits.  Maybe its tel:12345, maybe it's 12345@example.com, maybe it's 4967.  If it's not upgraded to give some special treatment to specific dial strings, A non-upgraded phone is going to send dialed digits in whatever convention it's configured with, and it's the proxy's job to do the recognition and routing.

So it seems like what the document should be saying is:
-- If an endpoint supports emergency dialstring recognition, then it MUST replace things with service URN as described in this document
-- Otherwise, it sends the dialed digits like any other dialed digits.
... which I think is what John was suggesting.

--Richard