Re: [Ecrit] Comment on latest changes to phone bcp - dial strings

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Fri, 08 April 2011 14:48 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 16:50:30 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ecrit@ietf.org" <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Comment on latest changes to phone bcp - dial strings

Brian,

I am concerned about a device that works today by embedding a dial string in a SIP or TEL URI in some way, but not in accordance with RFC 4967. I would wager that devices supporting RFC 4967 are in a minority.

Many such devices work today with dial strings for non-emergency calls, and in  most cases for emergency calls too (not using NG911). So I could dial 112 from many devices attached to networks in Europe and somehow an emergency call would be made. If I upgrade one of those devices to start encoding dial strings using RFC 4967, would they still work? Would they still be able to make non-emergency calls? Would they still be able to make emergency calls? My concern is that by mandating this we would break what works today.

John