Re: [Ecrit] WGLC draft-ietf-ecrit-similar-location-11 -- end date Oct 13

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Fri, 08 October 2021 14:59 UTC

From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
To: "Caron, Guy" <g.caron@bell.ca>
Cc: ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 07:59:13 -0700
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] WGLC draft-ietf-ecrit-similar-location-11 -- end date Oct 13

Please see inline.

--Randall

On 8 Oct 2021, at 5:57, Caron, Guy wrote:

> Inline.
>

> I will point out that all my proposed editorial changes are just that,
> editorial and are not meant to be blocking WGLC progress.
>

> I leave it to the authors to accept or reject any and all of those
> suggested changes.
>

> Guy

[rg] I believe it is helpful for clarification to retain the definition
of geodetic.  For the clarifying text that explains that geodetic isn't
used in the document, I think "out of scope" or "not discussed" or "not
used" is more clear than "restricted".

> (2) Regarding Guy's proposed insertion of "proffered" into the
> definition of "Similar Location," I suggest instead adding "queried"
> as I think it's more clear (especially for some English speakers).
>
> [GC] Languages are not 100% codified, which lives room for preferences
> and style. I don’t think “queried” is more clear than
> “proffered”. I would argue that “queried” is less accurate in
> the sense that the findService Request is not querying something, it
> is offering/presenting/requesting a location to be processed for
> validation.

[rg] Validation is only done as part of a findService request, which is
a query.  Hence, it is most clear to describe it as a "queried"
location.  If you don't like "queried", then "sent in a <findService>
request" is the most direct and clear language.

> I recognize that “query”/”queried” are used in the document,
> along with “provided” and “input”, and “proffered” would
> be a new word. Despite the fact that I think “proffered” is
> appropriate, I will not die on that hill.
>

> I do take exception to the commentary in parenthesis though, which I
> find on the tangent of being offensive and discriminatory. I’m not
> sure if these comments were submitted as an individual or as an IETF
> WG Chairperson but think about the message this is sending to this
> community or international participants: If you mother tongue is not
> English, you do not have the moral authority to suggest editorial
> changes.

[rg] Thanks for letting me know you found my comment offensive, Guy.
That was not my intent and I hadn't realized it could be seen as
offensive. I'm sorry.  I was not suggesting that anyone lacked moral
authority for editorial suggestions; to the contrary, editorial comments
can be especially valuable from those for whom their first language is
not English as spoken in North America (especially the northeastern U.S.
and much of Canada).  The point I was trying to make is that using words
that are less common can make comprehension more difficult for some
English speakers, including some for whom it is not their first language
as well as some whose native form is different.  In conversations with
IETF participants over many years, I've learned that words and phrases
that may seem artful from the perspective of a native speaker of English
in the U.S. can be difficult for others to follow.  I try to use more
common words and more direct language in Internet Drafts, as they have a
worldwide audience.