Re: [Ecrit] New work in ECRIT

"Bernard Aboba" <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Fri, 13 August 2010 20:31 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: "'Richard L. Barnes'" <rbarnes@bbn.com>, "'Kroeselberg, Dirk (NSN - DE/Munich)'" <dirk.kroeselberg@nsn.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:29:09 -0700
Cc: ecrit@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] New work in ECRIT

I was considering a scenario where a Femtocell provides access to an
existing carrier network inside the building, where signals might not
otherwise propagate.   So if a visitor had a cellular handset that could
make an emergency call, they could use that, regardless of whether they
could obtain access to an alternative network or not.  Presumably the
regulators have already decided what the requirements for emergency service
are for the cellular network (e.g. no SIM, SIM but ok if no credit, etc.),
and the handset meets those requirements.

The end result is that the building occupant satisfies the regulatory
requirement for "unauthenticated" emergency access without having to modify
their own network or VOIP deployment