Re: [Ecrit] URN: for people with hearing loss

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Wed, 12 July 2017 06:24 UTC

To: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:24:22 +0200
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] URN: for people with hearing loss

I doubt that the URN is the right mechanism for separating different
technologies and media used for the emergency call. That gets in
conflict with the specification of service type on the application level
that was the original idea of using subtypes in the URN.  You cannot
specify "coastguard" and "text" at the same time, or you need a
complicated logic that allows to hang the technology specification as a
sub-service on any of the other services ( "sos.coastguard.text" ).

The IETF SLIM WG is working with indication of desired language and
modality.  Emergency service is one of the main applications. We have
only identified spoken, written and signed modalities, but also briefly
discussed if "message" would be needed, as would be the need for SMS and
fax. (with written modality we mean real-time text declared as text
media. )  Maybe that mechanism can be considered for your needs.

If you continue on the subtype track, I also agree that "hearing-loss"
is not a good term to use, and also not "text".

Maybe "message" if that is what the subtype is intended to handle. Or
did you intend to handle all mixes of modality that can occur:   sms,
fax both ways, fax one way and speech the other, real-time text both
ways, real-time text one way and speech the other, sign language both
ways, instant messaging both ways, instant messaging combined with
speech etc. ? How would the device  know for which modality preferences
to use the service subtype and when to use the regular "sos".

Gunnar