[Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken addressing system?

"Henry Sinnreich" <henry@pulver.com> Tue, 07 February 2006 14:48 UTC

From: Henry Sinnreich <henry@pulver.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 08:47:35 -0600
Cc: enum@ietf.org, speermint@ietf.org, 'lconroy' <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>, 'Tony Rutkowski' <trutkowski@verisign.com>
Subject: [Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken addressing system?
Sender: enum-bounces@ietf.org

Penn,

I have to agree with you:

>My point about IM was simply that the major offers don't make much of an
>attempt to interoperate which puts them where the telephone system was
>about a century ago when you could only call me if we had the same phone.

Maybe the time is right for another Theodore Vail.

Also, the IM companies carry most of the VoIP traffic and have by far the
largest number of users. Only the new Microsoft IM and Yahoo IM are SIP. AOL
and Google have the "intention" to support SIP and Skype uses SIP to
interconnect to PSTN gateway providers. My Skype reads 5,259,584 users
online...

Maybe folks on the list have more accurate information.

Coming to the point:
What about peering for presence and IM?
Or should we wait for another Theodore Vail?

Thanks, Henry