Re: [Enum] requesting reviewers for draft-ietf-enum-xmpp..

"Stastny Richard" <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at> Thu, 30 November 2006 21:41 UTC

Subject: Re: [Enum] requesting reviewers for draft-ietf-enum-xmpp..
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:40:49 +0100
From: Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>
To: Bernie Hoeneisen <bhoeneis@switch.ch>, enum@ietf.org

Bernie,

the problem with ENUM and URIs is that all options are valid

Your proposal is ok, but covers only URIs which are used for protocols
that allow negotiation

There is different types of URIs which
a) do not allow negotiation. One example is tel
one may use tel for voice, sms, mms, but there is
no way until you try and it works or fails

b) may be used for different applications e.g mms:mailto

In addition we have the user, who may want to use one protocol
for voice, another one for video, one for presence and one for messaging, etc.

We had this discussion for years now, with no result. Everybody
proposing a solution like you covers only part of the spectrum,
the does not exist a perfect solution - or we would already have
found it in 4 years

I think we have to live with this mess

Richard