Re: FddiTime, and update to Path config table

Anil Rijsinghani <anil@levers.enet.dec.com> Fri, 24 July 1992 00:10 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1992 19:22:59 -0400
From: Anil Rijsinghani <anil@levers.enet.dec.com>
To: pablo@fibhaifa.com
Cc: fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu, anil@levers.enet.dec.com
Apparently-To: fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu, pablo@fibhaifa.com
Subject: Re: FddiTime, and update to Path config table

> Anil,
>	while I agree with you that 1usec units will be more readable
> I'm afraid that such change will cause missunderstanding, you'll see
> a different value from SMT than from SNMP, and different from the
> value you'll see when you capture a frame on the FDDI Analyzer.
>
> I think that the best way to deal with that is to use a single
> format and let the Network Management Station show it in a readable
> format (for example giving both 80 nsec units and 1 usec units).
>

> --Pablo

    Pablo,

    I was thinking about an end-user of this information, such as
    a network manager.  They typically do not need, or indeed want,
    to use an FDDI Analyzer or see packets on the wire.

    The feedback I have received from some users after our implementation
    of this MIB is that the numbers that show up on an NMS specified in
    FddiTime are long and hard-to-decode.  Note, by the way, that the
    defaults even in ANSI are specified in usecs, ms, or seconds!  Conversion
    of units on the management station would be one way to address this
    problem, but I haven't seen too many NMS's which do this.

    Anil