Re: FddiTime, and update to Path config table

Nelson Ronkin <ronkin@synnet.com> Wed, 29 July 1992 15:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1992 10:50:24 -0400
From: Nelson Ronkin <ronkin@synnet.com>
To: uunet!levers.enet.dec.com!anil@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: FddiTime, and update to Path config table
Cc: fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu

> From uunet!levers.enet.dec.com!anil Tue Jul 28 10:29:50 1992
> > This is what our NMS does, it performs the conversion from 80 nsec units
> > to milliseconds in the display, since that is more useful to the user.
> > It is the job of the NMS to display information the way the user wants to see
> > it.
>
>     As a matter of curiosity: does your nms have specific knowledge of fddi/
>     do you have an application rather than a vanilla nms with compiler.

Yes. Our NMS has specific knowledge of FDDI. It is specifically designed to
manage, monitor and dynamically map FDDI networks. Managing a network as
complicated as FDDI would be quite tedious with just a generic MIB manager.
It would require extensive MIB knowledge of the customer.

While presenting these time values in a more readable format might help
the user of a vanilla MIB manager, it is such a small step toward making
generic MIB management easy enough to use that it does not seem to me to
outweigh the confusion that could result from the ANSI and the SNMP MIBs being
different.

Nelson Ronkin
Synernetics, Inc.
ronkin@synnet.com