Re: [forces] Avoiding need to issue a draft every time WAS(Re: FEO events

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Thu, 20 November 2014 15:32 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:32:34 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@mojatatu.com>, forces <forces@ietf.org>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: [forces] Avoiding need to issue a draft every time WAS(Re: FEO events

I think that there are several issues combined here.

We already have mechanisms so that anyone can define LFBs.  And that
includes new subclasses of existing LFBs.  Note that he information as
to what LFB classes and subclasses an FE supports is easily
discoverable, by design.

There is the question of whether event mechanism should be more easily
extended than a new subclass.  I have trouble seeing how we could do
that, since in many instances it will require different code in the FE
to generate new events.

Then there is the question of changes to the FEO (or FEPO).  For
itneroperability, those have to be very stable.  In this case, for
example, if your CE needs those events, you can only work with FEs that
have been upgraded to generate those events from the FEO.   If we allow
random changes to the FEO, the probability of interoperability between
independent implementations is very low.  So while I am sympathetic, I
am reluctant to go down a path the makes interoperability harder.

Yours,
Joel