Re: [Fwd: Pls post this to forces WG list.]

Robert Haas <rha@zurich.ibm.com> Tue, 09 September 2008 12:52 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:52:37 +0200
From: Robert Haas <rha@zurich.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Pls post this to forces WG list.]
Comments: To: "Bert Wijnen (IETF)" <bertietf@bwijnen.net>
Comments: cc: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>

Thanks Bert, I made the changes as suggested, the updated draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-forces-mib-09.txt

My summary of the changes is copied below (See Section 10 in the draft).
Regards,
-Robert

Changes from draft-ietf-forces-mib-08:

   o  Changed the MIB objects forcesAssociationOtherMsgSent and
      forcesAssociationOtherMsgReceived to forcesAssociationOperMsgSent
      and forcesAssociationOperMsgReceived as they are not all other
      messages besides HB (comment from the General Area Review Team).

   o  Changed MIB counter objects forcesAssociationHBMsgSent,
      forcesAssociationHBMsgReceived, forcesAssociationOperMsgSent, and
      forcesAssociationOperMsgReceived from Counter32 to
      ZeroBasedCounter32 (comment from Bert Wijnen).  Adapted the
      paragraph about statistics counters in section "Associations kept
      in the MIB"

   o  Introduced a MIB object forcesAssociationCounterDiscontinuityTime,
      and added it to the forcesAssociationEntry as well as to the
      forcesAssociationEntryDownStats notification and the
      forcesStatsGroup compliance group.  Added text on discontinuity
      for all counter objects.

   o  Removed MIB counters from the forcesAssociationEntryUpStats
      notification, as passing now zero values is useless.

"Bert Wijnen \(IETF\)" <bertietf@bwijnen.net> wrote on 09/08/2008 10:39:12
PM:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: [Fwd: Pls post this to forces WG list.]
>
> Bert Wijnen \(IETF\)
>
> to:
>
> Robert Haas
>
> 09/08/2008 10:40 PM

> FORCES, "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)"
>
> From your description it sounds that indeed a ZeroBasedCounter32 would
be
> better. That way you indicate it starts at zero.
>
> And hearing that the same index (FEID+CEID) could come to life in the
> table after one has been deleted, that makes it as a discontinuity.
> How else would a NM appliation know that this is a different entry?
> And so a discontinuity timestamp is needed.
>
> If there are no other reason why a discontinuity can occur (I do not
know,
> because I know to little of forces), then it would be good to state so.
>
> Text on page 32 of
>    > http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/FILES/Reference/snmp%20counters.pdf
> is an example of a discontinuity counter.
>
> Bert

Mon, 8