Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #9: Services provided

panayotis antoniadis <panayotis@nethood.org> Thu, 14 April 2016 09:45 UTC

To: Mitar <mmitar@gmail.com>, Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
From: panayotis antoniadis <panayotis@nethood.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 11:45:37 +0200
Cc: gaia <gaia@irtf.org>, Nicolás Echániz <nicoechaniz@altermundi.net>
Subject: Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #9: Services provided

Hi again,

My second high-level comment is that if one "opens the door" of local
services, it is crucial from a classification point of view to clarify
what exactly means "local". Are these services offered to a wider
public or only to the members/contributors of the community network?

There is even a technical dimension to this separation. The local
services of AWMN mentioned by someone are mostly available
for the members/contributors of the network. One needs to have
installed an antenna on his/her roof to have access to them since
the "access to the public" network of AWMN is rather limited.

And so this opens up more complex issues related to the
concept of community itself, inclusion, etc. Going back to the issue of
motivation, it is very often the case that members of community
networks wish to see themselves as part of a network that it does
not "just" provide Internet access. But my impression, based on "secondary
sources", is that very rarely these "local" services are "successful" and
even less often are accessible to a wider audience.

Actually, in a recent event we organized in Transmediale,
http://2016.transmediale.de/content/off-the-cloud-zone, one of the founders
of a big European community network stated that "local services in
community networks is a myth".

In the same event, we had many representatives of artistic/activist
projects
that use one-node solutions, e.g., a captive portal installed on a
Raspberry Pi,
like PirateBox and Occupy.here (see also http://nethood.org/links.php).
Shouldn't they be part of a classification of alternative networks that
includes local-only services?