Re: [gaia] Current version of the Alternative Networks draft

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Mon, 25 April 2016 16:07 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Francesco Amorosa' <amorosa@afasystems.it>, 'panayotis antoniadis' <panayotis@nethood.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 18:07:08 +0200
Cc: gaia@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [gaia] Current version of the Alternative Networks draft

Hi,

The current version loosely talks about this in different places (although
not using the word "governance"):

a) In the definition. It is one of the characteristics:

   o  Users in alternative networks may participate in the network
      design, deployment, operation and maintenance.

b) When talking about the "administrative model"

4.3.  Administrative model

   o  Centralized, where a single authority (e.g. a company, a public
      stakeholder) plans and manages the network.

   o  Non-centralized, i.e. the network is managed following a
      distributed approach, in which a whole community may participate.
      The network may also grow according to the fact of new users
      joining it, but not following a plan.

c) When talking about Community Networks:

   o  Knowledge about building and maintaining the network and ownership
      of the network itself is non-centralized and open.  Different
      degrees of centralization can be found in Community Networks.  In
      some of them, a shared platform (e.g. a web site) may exist where
      a minimum coordination is performed.  Community members with the
      right permissions have an obvious and direct form of
      organizational control over the overall organization of the
      network (e.g.  IP addresses, routing, etc.) in their community
      (not just their own participation in the network).

So the word "governance" seems to be adequate, and I see no problem on using
it in the places suggested by Panayotis (see my previous e-mail).

Best regards,

Jose

Networks