Re: [gaia] Current version of the Alternative Networks draft

Francesco Amorosa <amorosa@afasystems.it> Mon, 25 April 2016 10:40 UTC

To: panayotis antoniadis <panayotis@nethood.org>, Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
From: Francesco Amorosa <amorosa@afasystems.it>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:40:34 +0200
Cc: gaia@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [gaia] Current version of the Alternative Networks draft

Dear all,
the word *governance* seems really relevant in "alternative" networks
context.

It expresses the will and the ambition of a territory (a small or wide
area with its population) and marks a substantial difference between the
Alternative Networks and the others, whose governance (and strategy,
evolution plans, coverage extensions, ...) are determined elsewhere,
often exclusively on the basis of the market short-term perspectives.

I believe we need to introduce the concept of *governance*.

Best,
Francesco
---
Il 25/04/2016 02:42, panayotis antoniadis ha scritto:

> Dear Jose, all
>
> Here is the first part of my proposal for the improvement of the draft,
> up to the end of Section 4 (classification criteria), trying to minimize
> the suggested changes.
>
> I will send the second part a little later depending on how the first
> part
> will be received :-)
>

>> Abstract
>
>> This document presents a taxonomy of a set of "Alternative Network
>>    Deployments" emerged in the last decade with the aim of bringing
>>    Internet connectivity to people.
>
> "or of providing a local communication infrastructure to serve various
> complementary needs and objectives"
>
> [If the draft would include alternative networks with other objectives
> than
> providing Internet access this should be reflected in the abstract.]
>
>> topologies different from those of mainstream networks, and rely on
>>    alternative business models.
> I would say "alternative business *and governance* models"
>

>> 1. Introduction
>
>> This term
>>    includes a set of network access models that have emerged in the last
>>    decade with the aim of providing Internet connection, following
>>    topological, architectural and business models that differ from the
>>    so-called "mainstream" ones,
> again, I would add "governance" models
>

>>    o  Users in mainstream networks do not participate in the network
>>       design, deployment, operation and maintenance.
>
> same here: add "governance"
>

>> 2.  Terms used in this document
>>
>>    This document follows a multidisciplinary approach, considering the
>>    multidisciplinary nature of the Internet and the problems being
>>    addressed. Therefore, some concepts used in fields and disciplines
>>    different from networking are being used.
>
> I would replace the above with the following [I don't think that it
> "follows a multidisciplinary approach" since there are not other
> disciplines really represented in the whole approach other than
> the clarification of the terminology]:
>
> "Considering the central role that the Internet plays today in almost
> every aspect of our lives, this document touches on complex social,
> political, and economic issues. Some of the concepts and terminology
> used have been the subject of study of various disciplines outside the
> field of networking, and responsible for long debates whose resolution
> is out of the scope of this document. "
>

>> 4.1.  Commercial model / promoter
> The "commercial model" does not sound like a classification variable
> and the list below is not a list of "commercial models" but different
> actors involved. The term "promoter" is also very vague. I would
> call this category simply "actors involved"
>

>>    The entity (or entities) or individuals promoting an Alternative
>>    Network can be:
>>
>>    o  A community of users.
>>
>>    o  A public stakeholder.
>>
>>    o  A private company.

> [...]