Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #4. Classification

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Wed, 13 April 2016 15:55 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Mitar' <mmitar@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 17:55:23 +0200
Cc: 'gaia' <gaia@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #4. Classification

Hi again,

I think "ownership of equipment" can be seen as a part of the "commercial model / promoter". In fact, the text in "Commerical model / promoter" already talks about ownership: " A community that already *owns* some infrastructure shares it with an operator, which uses it for backhauling purposes."

What about this?

4.1.  Commercial model / promoter

   The entity (or entities) or individuals promoting an Alternative
   Network can be:

   o  A community of users.

   o  A public stakeholder.

   o  A private company.

   o  Supporters of a crowdshared approach.

   o  A community that already owns some infrastructure shares it with
      an operator, which uses it for backhauling purposes.

   o  A research or academic entity.

   The commercial model may have different implications regarding the
   ownership of the network equipment.  In some cases, each of the users
   of the community maintains the ownership over the equipment they have
   contributed, whereas in others there is an entity who owns the
   equipment, or at least a part of it.

> If we extend also goals and motivation with additional options, then I think this is
> closer to be able to cover community networks.
>
> > The list of motivations has been expanded as you suggested.
>
> Then we should probably add them as used by community networks.

I don't understand the previous sentence. What does "them" refer to? Sorry.

> >> Technologies used: TDMA should be there, Ubiquiti gear does it by default.
> >
> > Can you provide a reference? Thanks!
>
> Ubiquiti calls this technology airMax:
>
> https://www.ubnt.com/broadband/
> https://dl.ubnt.com/AirMax_ppt.pdf
>
> It is their proprietary WiFi extension. There is also an open source project aiming to
> provide this as well:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/WifiTDMA

Thanks. I would not include the freebsd link, as it is not working yet.

This would be the new version including this:

4.4.  Technologies employed

   o  Standard Wi-Fi.  Many Alternative Networks are based on the
      standard IEEE 802.11 [IEEE.802-11-2012] using the Distributed
      Coordination Function.

   o  Wi-Fi modified for long distances (WiLD), either with CSMA/CA or
      with an alternative TDMA MAC [Simo_b].

   o  Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) can be combined with Wi-Fi
      protocol, in a non-standard way [airMAX].  This allows each client
      to send and receive data using pre-designated timeslots.

   o  802.16-compliant (WiMax) [IEEE.802-16.2008] systems over non-
      licensed bands.

   o  Dynamic Spectrum Solutions (e.g. based on the use of white
      spaces), a set of television frequencies that can be utilized by
      secondary users in locations where they are unused, e.g., IEEE
      802.11af [IEEE.802-11AF.2013] or 802.22 [IEEE.802-22.2011].

   o  Satellite solutions can also be employed to give coverage to wide
      areas.

   o  Low-cost optical fiber systems are used to connect households in
      some villages.

> Mitar
>
> --
> http://mitar.tnode.com/