Re: [Gen-art] [regext] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration-11

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 15 October 2019 17:00 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:59:47 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, Jiankang Yao <yaojk@cnnic.cn>
cc: gen-art@ietf.org, draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, regext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] [regext] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration-11

Joel,

Let me try one reason why this should not be Standards Track or,
if it should, it isn't ready.  It uses, and is dependent on,
terminology for which there is no consensus definition and that
is used to describe different things in the wild.  As I think I
suggested one of my earlier notes about this, it would be
possible to say "these terms mean whatever the registry says
they mean", explicitly anticipating that different registries
might use the extension for slightly different purposes.   While
not a problem for an Informational document whose purpose is to
inform the community about what some registries are doing and
perhaps not for an Experimental one, neither that option nor
ignoring the definitional issue are consistent with our
expectations that standards track documents will at least lay a
foundation for interoperability.   Even if it worked for each
registry that uses it taken separately, many of us have seen
situations in which companies with different definitions and
applicability for given named concepts merge and the
difficulties that result.   For a standards track document,
creating such a situation would be, at least, a "known defect"
that requires exploration and explanation in the document, text
that is not present.

More details on these terminology issues in my two comments on
the Secdir review on the 13th.

best,
   john

--On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 08:10 -0400 "Joel M. Halpern"