Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-groves-megaco-pkgereg-02

"McCann Peter-A001034" <pete.mccann@motorola.com> Fri, 13 March 2009 15:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:19:46 -0400
From: McCann Peter-A001034 <pete.mccann@motorola.com>
To: Christian Groves <Christian.Groves@nteczone.com>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, draft-groves-megaco-pkgereg@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-groves-megaco-pkgereg-02

Hi, Christian,

I am fine on your and Cullen's explanation on the major issue.
It sounds like expert review is the right policy here.  By choosing
an expert closely affiliated with the ITU study group I guess we
are ceding some of the change control to them, which matches what
has been happening with the rest of the H.248 standards.

On the question of "recognized standards organization", I really
wonder if we can do without this distinction.  It seems like the
rules given in the draft mainly allow shorter codes to be registered
by these organizations.  Would it really harm the world for an
individual to register a package with a short name?  I can imagine
that some packages may become important even when not developed by
a "recognized standards organization".  Given the review that needs
to take place, we could easily guard against squatting or spamming
behaviors.

On the question of publicly available specifications, personally I
would like to see this required of public packages.  I don't think
it's fair for someone to use the IETF process for registering such
a package without disclosing enough information for anyone to produce
an interoperable implementation.  The situation with H.248 right
now is that I can go to the ITU website and download a copy, which
I think removed some of the qualms IETF may have had about turning
over change control from MEGACO to ITU.  I wouldn't want to see
H.248 turned into a proprietary protocol through the extension
mechanisms.

-Pete