[Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ltans-ers-13.txt

"Tobias Gondrom" <tgondrom@opentext.com> Fri, 01 June 2007 13:20 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 15:20:09 +0200
From: Tobias Gondrom <tgondrom@opentext.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: ralf.brandner@intercomponentware.com, General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, Tim Polk <wpolk@nist.gov>, ulrich.pordesch@zv.fraunhofer.de, Carl Wallace <CWallace@cygnacom.com>
Subject: [Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ltans-ers-13.txt

Hello Brian,

Concerning the sentence in section 4.2:
I do not see a big difference between your proposal:
"The data (e.g. certificates, CRLs or OCSP-Responses) needed to verify
the timestamp MUST be preserved, and SHOULD be stored in the timestamp
itself unless this causes unnecessary duplication."

And the existing text:
"The data (e.g. certificates, CRLs or OCSP-Responses) needed to verify
the timestamp SHOULD be stored in the timestamp itself or MUST be
preserved otherwise."

Although I do not see the need to change it, I can see no damage either.

So, if this re-wording solves your comment, we can make the change.

Ok?

Tobias

ulrich.pordesch@zv.fraunhofer.de;
> Tim Polk
> Subject: Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ltans-ers-13.txt
>
> On 2007-06-01 12:11, Tobias Gondrom wrote:
> > Hello Brian,
> > Answer/Comments inline.
> > Tobias
> >
> > Ps.: I hope you do not feel your comment got ignored, cause that has
> > never been my intention. (I just thought my explanation was
satisfying,
> > as you indicated in your email May-22 and closed the item
accordingly.)

> No problem at all - I just thought about it some more. We Gen-ART
> reviewers
> have a habit of looking at SHOULD and SHOULD NOT quite closely,
because
> we know that they can cause indecision among implementers. For
example,
> you could say something like this:
>
> The data (e.g. certificates, CRLs or OCSP-Responses) needed to verify
> the timestamp MUST be preserved, and SHOULD be stored in the timestamp
> itself unless this causes unnecessary duplication.
>
> It's up to you, I am not insisting on a change.
>
>      Brian

OCSP).