Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-lmap-use-cases-05

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Tue, 16 December 2014 09:12 UTC

From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: ben@nostrum.com
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 09:12:39 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: draft-ietf-lmap-use-cases.all@tools.ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-lmap-use-cases-05

Thanks!
phil

> > OLD
> >
> >      o Understanding the quality experienced by customers. Alongside
> >      benchmarking competitors, gaining better insight into the user's
> >      service through a sample panel of the operator's own customers.
> >      The ISP requires a performance viewpoint of the end-to-end
> >      perspective, which includes: home/enterprise networks; peering
> >      points; Content Delivery Networks (CDNs); etc.
> >
> > PROPOSED NEW
> >
> >      o Understanding the quality experienced by customers. The
> network operator would like to gain better insight into the end-to-end
> performance experienced by its customers. This could incorporate home
> and enterprise networks, and the impact of peering, caching and Content
> Delivery Networks (CDNs).
>
> Looks good, but do you expect the last sentence to be exhaustive, or
> are those just examples?

"End-to-end" could, for instance, incorporate home and enterprise networks, and the impact of peering, caching and Content Delivery Networks (CDNs).

> >> Not addressed.
> >
> > If a reference is really needed, then i guess
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_opinion_score will do.
> >

> On a quick search, it looks like that's at least discussed (and maybe
> defined) in ITU-T P.800.
>
> http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-P.800-199608-I/en

I'll add whichever reference you prefer - wiki or P.800 which is specifically about telephony.
The context is:
<<This involves
   relating the pure network parameters to something like a 'mean
   opinion score' which will be service dependent (for instance web
   browsing QoE is largely determined by latency above a few Mb/s).

> [...]
> >> Not addressed.
> >
> > I don't want to address this one. Formal terminology is in the LMAP
> framework, including the definition of "measurement agent". In this
> document we used the more informal term "probe", as it seems easy to
> understand without a formal definition. Since this use cases doc might
> have a wider readership, we wanted to avoid terminology and just give
> the reader the motivations and usages of LMAP measurement information.
>
> Could you offer an informal definition, or a "such as [example]" sort
> of thing? "Probe" has many meanings. Context might be enough for some
> readers, but possibly not all.

In S3.1 probe is first mentioned. So then I'll add this text:-

NEW
(A probe is a device or piece of software that makes measurements and reports the results, under the control of the measurement system. Implementation options are discussed in Section 5.)

And in S5
OLD
One way involves a special hardware device that is connected directly
   to the home gateway.
Another approach involves implementing the measurement capability as
   a webpage or an "app" that end users are encouraged to download onto
   their mobile phone or computing device.

NEW
One type of probe is a special hardware device that is connected directly
   to the home gateway.
Another type of probe involves implementing the measurement capability as