Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-speechsc-mrcpv2-24.txt

"Miguel A. Garcia" <Miguel.A.Garcia@ericsson.com> Mon, 31 October 2011 08:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:54:00 +0100
From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <Miguel.A.Garcia@ericsson.com>
To: Dan Burnett <dburnett@voxeo.com>
Cc: Saravanan Shanmugham <sarvi@cisco.com>, Dave Oran <oran@cisco.com>, General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-speechsc-mrcpv2-24.txt

Hi Dan.

First, I believe I agree with all your previous comments. Thanks for addressing it.

Now, back to this comment related to the IANA registration. See below.

On 31/10/2011 2:20, Dan Burnett wrote:
> I have removed all but one of your comments below.  This comment had
> not yet been addressed.  With this reply I believe I have addressed
> all of your comments.  If you find that I have missed one please let
> me know.
>
> -- dan
>
> On May 3, 2011, at 2:39 AM, Miguel A. Garcia wrote:
>

>> - Section 13.1.6 describes a mechanism where vendor-specific
>> extensions use the reverse DNS mechanism, for example.,
>> "com.example.foo". Then, if the vendor-specific extension is
>> connected to DNS to avoid clashes in names, why is there a need for
>> an expert review policy prior to its registration? I see a
>> contradiction in having a self-managing registry by avoiding
>> clashes due to the connection to DNS, and then having anything else
>> than a volunteer registry.
>>

> In the next draft I will replace "Expert Review" with "First Come
> First Served".

This does not solve my concern. My concerns is why do you need at the same time:

a) a self-managed registry, by linking reversed DNS names to features

b) an IANA-controlled registry.

There is a redundancy here. The goal of both is to avoid clashes of different features with the same name. If you need an IANA registry, then features do not need to be linked with their DNS names. If you need a reversed DNS names for the features, then their names are self-managed and need not be maintained by IANA.

So, I still do not understand what you are trying to achieve.

BR,

      Miguel

--
Miguel A. Garcia