[Gen-art] Re: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-l3vpn-ce-based-03.txt

Harald Alvestrand <hta@google.com> Thu, 14 September 2006 10:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:05:28 -0700
From: Harald Alvestrand <hta@google.com>
To: Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>
Cc: jeremy.de_clercq@alcatel.be, Rick Wilder <rick.wilder@alcatel.com>, cliff.wang@us.army.mil, gen-art@ietf.org, olivier.paridaens@alcatel.be
Subject: [Gen-art] Re: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-l3vpn-ce-based-03.txt

Mark Townsley wrote:
> Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>>
>> But I am hard pressed to figure out why such documents belong even in
>> the vicinity of the IETF standards track.
>> I'm happy to let these two documents out as Informational. I think
>> any such document belongs in that class.
> They are being targeted for informational. And note the additional
> language I included in the IETF LC for these documents:
>
> These documents were a product of first the PPVPN WG, and later the L3VPN
> WG. They passed WG Last Call, but have not been actively discussed in the
> WG for some time. There is little interest to work on CE-based VPN
> problems within the WG today. The L3VPN WG is being rechartered to
> reflect
> this, and these documents are being advanced as Informational for the
> historical record.
I noticed. My beef is mainly with the fact that the L3VPN WG is
apparently going down the path where shipping "standards" that don't
standardize anything is considered a legitimate activity.

If they do a similarly content-free one on (for instance) IPSec-based
PPVPNs, my review of that would also say that it ought to be Info, not
Standards-track; useful, but not a standard.

(for all I know, such a document might already be approved.... I don't
follow that area closely....)