[Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-green-secsh-ecc-08.txt

"Miguel A. Garcia" <Miguel.A.Garcia@ericsson.com> Wed, 15 July 2009 05:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:00:38 +0200
From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <Miguel.A.Garcia@ericsson.com>
To: douglas@stebila.ca, jon.green@ece.queensu.ca, Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov>, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>
Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-green-secsh-ecc-08.txt

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-green-secsh-ecc-08.txt
Reviewer: Miguel Garcia <miguel.a.garcia@ericsson.com>
Review Date: 2009-07-14
IETF LC End Date: 2009-08-10

Major issues: none

Minor issues:

- In Section 9.1, second sentence, the text reads: "These curve should
always be enabled ...." I think the "should" should be elevated to a
"SHOULD" in this case.

- The IANA Considerations section needs more work. In particular, it does
not name the registry where IANA has to operate. I am assuming that this
registry is "Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Parameters). That registry
includes several subregistries, of which, this draft is presumably adding
  new values to the "Public Key Algorithm Names" and "Key Exchange Method
Names". Please clearly explain what needs to be registered where.

Nits/editorial comments: A couple of minor nits, in case you need to
create a new version of the document

- The third paragraph of Section 6.1 contains an 8-line long sentence. I
think this sentence could be simplified and chunked into smaller
sentences, because it is a bit hard to read such long sentences.

- The first paragraph in Section 7 reads ... "... without being granted
IANA permission". If we are accurate, IANA does not grant any permission.
Instead IANA acts as a registry. So, most likely you want to say "...
without requiring an IANA registration process" or something like that.

- Title of Section 9.2, missing white space separated two words.

Regards,

      Miguel
--
Miguel A. Garcia