RE: AW: [Geopriv]Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-00

"Abbott, Nadine B" <nabbott@telcordia.com> Thu, 14 July 2005 00:26 UTC

Subject: RE: AW: [Geopriv]Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-00
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:23:53 -0400
From: "Abbott, Nadine B" <nabbott@telcordia.com>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

My two cents...

Altitude/floor are needed for dispatch purposes, so they need to be
carried with the call.
I think it makes sense to allow civic floor to be carried with geo
coordinates, if it is available.
GPS coordinates are going to be determined using devices with various
capabilities.  Not all GPS devices even calculate altitude.  It makes
sense to me to allow this information to be supplemented with floor
where it is known.  In addition to the problem of definition of altitude
relative to the geoid, as Marc Berryman reminded us, calculating floor
from altitude is not uniform, but structure dependent--floor heights are
not uniform.

While we have postulated the possible use of altitude/floor to assist in
routing determination at some point in the future, at least right now in
North America altitude/floor are not part of any existing validation or
call routing/mapping data.  When/if altitude/floor are used for call
routing/mapping determination, probably both would need to be supported
in the routing/mapping database, but it may make sense to say that only
one or the other should be included should be included with
latitude/longitude coordinates in the mapping request.

:) Nadine