RE: AW:[Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-00

"Marc Berryman" <MBerryman@911.org> Wed, 13 July 2005 20:12 UTC

From: Marc Berryman <MBerryman@911.org>
To: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:12:25 -0500
Subject: RE: AW:[Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-00
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

Re: hint: contact your local postal authority

Oh my gosh, you must be kidding. The USPS is not a viable option for
addressing when it comes to 9-1-1 and emergency services. First, Postal
Communities have little relation to Jurisdictional Communities. You
could have a postal address of Houston, TX and actually live in the city
of Jersey Village, or Missouri City, or Bellaire, or a few others. Each
of these cities have their own PSAP and their own law, fire, and EMS
services.

Below are some of favorite problems with the USPS addressing, all taken
from USPS Pub No. 28

USPS Pub No. 28 States in part:
232 (my favorite example)
Street Name - Information found in the primary name field of the ZIP+4
File is used as the street name. The ZIP+4 File indicates the preferred
primary street name to ensure that the correctly designated primary
street record is matched  during the address standardization processes.
	The Street Name is the official name as designated by the local
addressing authority - NOT the Zip+4 File!!

213.3
Allows for alternate Location and 215 the Dual Address issue
	Not useful, and could be confusing, for emergency responders
235
Numeric street names, for example, 7TH ST or SEVENTH ST, should be
output on the mail piece exactly as they appear in the ZIP+4 File.
	The Street Name is the official name as designated by the local
addressing authority.

Then there are the Rural Routes, P.O. Boxes, General Delivery addresses
and so on. I think you begin to see the Post Office is not a valid
source of addressing information.

Geo addresses would be measured e.g. GPS or from WiFi type devices. Rick
Jones pointed out to me that there is an interesting article at this
link:
http://news.com.com/Intel+experiments+with+Wi-Fi+as+GPS+substitute/2100-
7351_3-5785565.html?part=rss&tag=5785565&subj=news
It tells how WiFi can obtain Geo coordinates AND valid altitude
measurements, which gets around the statement I made earlier about GPS
does not have valid altitude measurements. The WiFi apparently has
overcome that issue.

Marc