Re: [GROW] draft-raszuk-diverse-bgp-path-dist-01 working group document

Robert Raszuk <raszuk@cisco.com> Sun, 28 March 2010 18:51 UTC

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:51:25 +0200
From: Robert Raszuk <raszuk@cisco.com>
To: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>
Cc: grow@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [GROW] draft-raszuk-diverse-bgp-path-dist-01 working group document

Hello Shane,

Many thx for the great comment. It is precisely why I asked this to
become a WG document to encourage and solicit more feedback like this.

Let me try to clarify ...

 > I will add that it would be nice to briefly consider the operational
 > implications of "accidentally" crossing route-reflector planes in a
 > future version of this document.

Yes I agree and will be very happy to either add some text or
accommodate text from you.

But this is particularly applicable to the case where RR planes reside
on different RRs or on the same RRs with real clear plane separation
(for example virtual router/logical router plane separation cases).

While we are getting into implementation specifics the other case of the
same RR can be realized with the full sharing of single BGP data
structures allowing such RR to explicitly enable sending 2nd/3rd/nth
best path on a per neighbor/peer group/update group knob basis.

In this latter case which I really meant to be the case of single RR
serving all planes such confusion is unlikely to happen due to the
reasons described above.

Many thx,
R.