Re: [Hipsec] Status of HIP implementation

Miika Komu <mkomu@cs.hut.fi> Tue, 16 July 2013 08:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:50:09 +0300
From: Miika Komu <mkomu@cs.hut.fi>
To: hipsec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Hipsec] Status of HIP implementation

Hi,

On 07/16/2013 10:24 AM, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> Folks,
>
> one of the questions we need to answer when requesting the publication
> of the bis specs is the following:
>
>> Are there existing implementations of the protocol? Have a significant
>> number of vendors indicated their plan to implement the specification?
>
> If you could send me an update on your implementation, or third-party
> implementations you are aware of, that would be great. In particular, it
> would be good to know which implementers intend to update their
> implementations to comply with the Standards Track bis specs (as opposed
> to implementations that are no being actively maintained any longer).

HIP for Linux has already taken steps to update it's implementation.
While some things remain to be updated (e.g. DNS proxy support), RWTH
Aachen contributed ECDSA code and Xin Gu has implemented ECDH and other
HIPv2 extensions. The latter part is still in the merging queue, but
will be merged during the summer. During the transition, HIPL is going
to support both HIPv1 and HIPv2.

Xin Gu's work has been documented here:

http://nordsecmob.aalto.fi/en/publications/theses_2012/gu-xin_thesis.pdf

His work also included extending HIP as an application-layer library. We
mostly use it for loopback regression testing of the implementation.

Other references:

http://hipl.hiit.fi/
https://launchpad.net/hipl