Re: [Hipsec] Network-bound puzzles for HIP?

Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau@connotech.com> Wed, 28 November 2012 17:08 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:21:55 -0500
From: Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau@connotech.com>
To: Miika Komu <mkomu@cs.hut.fi>
Cc: hip WG <hipsec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Hipsec] Network-bound puzzles for HIP?

Miika Komu wrote:
> Hi Thierry,
>
> how do you register the network puzzle to the URI? Unlike the current
> HIP puzzle, your solution requires a third party? And it couples HIP
> control plane with e.g. CoAP (since you're talking about URIs)?

These are "implementation details" at this point, and anyway someone
else contribution is just as relevant as mine. A third party appears not
essential.

> A decoupled and more standards-compliant solution with a HIP-specific
> third party could to assume a rendezvous or relay server, which drops
> messages until some time period. This "some" could be defined when a
> host registers to rendezvous or relay server or updates its
> registration. The drawback here is that the initiator will not receive
> any time value for waiting (unless the rendezvous sends NOTIFY).

That may qualify as "someone else contribution" and could be relevant.

> I am not an expert, I believe current wireless sensor networks
> communicate through sink or gateway, so DoS protection is not really
> necessary for the sensors. However, the IoT vision is to have end-to-end
> connectivity for the sensors, so this may change in the future. Any
> thoughts on this?

As I understand it, the DOS protection benefits the responder, but the
CPU energy cost is allocated to the legitimate initiators
indiscriminately (hence the sensor end-point concern).

> P.S. Are you aware of any patents related to network puzzles?

Not aware of anything from third party in this respect. I disclosed the
proposal to the HIP mailing list assuming this would be a public
disclosure (through the mail archive) and I did not file any patent
application on this proposal.

Regards,

--
- Thierry Moreau