Re: [Hipsec] Network-bound puzzles for HIP?

Miika Komu <mkomu@cs.hut.fi> Wed, 28 November 2012 15:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:56:27 +0200
From: Miika Komu <mkomu@cs.hut.fi>
To: Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau@connotech.com>, hip WG <hipsec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Hipsec] Network-bound puzzles for HIP?

Hi Thierry,

how do you register the network puzzle to the URI? Unlike the current
HIP puzzle, your solution requires a third party? And it couples HIP
control plane with e.g. CoAP (since you're talking about URIs)?

A decoupled and more standards-compliant solution with a HIP-specific
third party could to assume a rendezvous or relay server, which drops
messages until some time period. This "some" could be defined when a
host registers to rendezvous or relay server or updates its
registration. The drawback here is that the initiator will not receive
any time value for waiting (unless the rendezvous sends NOTIFY).

I am not an expert, I believe current wireless sensor networks
communicate through sink or gateway, so DoS protection is not really
necessary for the sensors. However, the IoT vision is to have end-to-end
connectivity for the sensors, so this may change in the future. Any
thoughts on this?

P.S. Are you aware of any patents related to network puzzles?