Re: [hops] Proposed Charter for Measurement and Analysis for Protocols (MAP) Research Group

Joachim Fabini <Joachim.Fabini@tuwien.ac.at> Fri, 27 November 2015 15:47 UTC

To: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>, hops@ietf.org
From: Joachim Fabini <Joachim.Fabini@tuwien.ac.at>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 16:47:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [hops] Proposed Charter for Measurement and Analysis for Protocols (MAP) Research Group

Hi Brian,

I support the charter, thanks for revising it, and full consent to
Ethan's statement: "landing pad" for the IMC community reads
excellent, nice wording.

One question (perhaps a minor rewording can help): is "collaborations
to share data supporting these measurements" equivalent to "defining
repositories and sharing meaningful methods, measurement results,
measurement context and limitations of data sets" as discussed in
Yokohama? It's not clear to me what "supporting these measurements"
refers to exactly. It could mean "sharing of successful measurement
methods and setups" rather than "sharing of measurement results".

Second, is it needed|meaningful to explicitly mention legal aspects
related to data sharing as within/outside of the MAP charter? Sharing
data means dealing with country-specifics, licensing terms, privacy
vs. usability, etc. As such, legal aspects are implicitly part of the
charter. My feeling is that MAP should propose guidelines for sharing
measurement data, and that such guidelines could be really helpful for
the community. However, the discussion on the ietf94-attendees mailing
list is a fair warning to be _very_ careful with discussions on any
legal aspects (in particular privacy). There's a high risk to lose
focus - perhaps we can delegate this subtask to the hrpc RG. ;)

many thanks,
Joachim