Re: [i2rs] Call for Adoption by WG: draft-atlas-i2rs-architecture-01 (ends Aug 12)

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 14 August 2013 09:58 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 05:57:54 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
Cc: i2rs@ietf.org, Joe Marcus Clarke <jclarke@cisco.com>, Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Call for Adoption by WG: draft-atlas-i2rs-architecture-01 (ends Aug 12)

The virtual router question is an interesting one.  I believe that the
answer is "it depends".
On the one hand there is a base device.  There may or may not need to be
capability for I2RS access to that entity.
Then there are the individual virtual routers.  My inclination would be
to use separate I2RS clients, each with a separate I2RS identity and
identifier.  But there appears to be enough flexibility in the modeling
that we are discussing that one could probably model it as one I2RS
agent with various pieces and parts.  In which case that one agent has
only one identity and one identifier.

Yours,
Joel