Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-bhatia-ecmp-routes-in-bgp-00.txt

Mireille Shammas <mireille.shammas@alcatel.com> Thu, 15 May 2003 14:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:38:44 -0400
From: Mireille Shammas <mireille.shammas@alcatel.com>
To: Manav Bhatia <manav@samsung.com>
Cc: idr@merit.edu
Subject: Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-bhatia-ecmp-routes-in-bgp-00.txt
Sender: owner-idr@merit.edu

Hi Manav,
In this draft you don't mention anything about ECMP in a BGP/MPLS VPN network
and more precisely ECMP between PE and CE where EBGP is used. Note that IBGP is
used to relay the MPLS label information between PEs. I think this will totally
depend on how you choose the labels on a local PE to advertise to a remote PE
to carry the VPN traffic back to the CE. Sample scenario below:

|      |-------ebgp session--------|
| CE|-------ebgp session--------| PE1| =======IBGP/MPLS===========|PE2| .......

|      |-------ebgp session--------|

 I am mainly interested in what will happen on PE1, and how to balance
VPN/labelled traffic coming from PE1 towards CE .
Thanks
Mireille