Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-bhatia-ecmp-routes-in-bgp-00.txt

Manav Bhatia <manav@samsung.com> Mon, 19 May 2003 04:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:29:21 +0530
From: Manav Bhatia <manav@samsung.com>
Subject: Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-bhatia-ecmp-routes-in-bgp-00.txt
To: Mareline Sheldon <marelines@yahoo.com>
Cc: idr@merit.edu
Sender: owner-idr@merit.edu

Mareline,
The design implicitly takes care of the scenario you explain.  Though I
confess that I have not been really clear on this in this version of the
draft.

To advertise two ECMP routes with different attributes we will use two
UPDATEs where each will be sent with a blank ECMP_NEXT_HOP attribute (nos.
of next-hops will be kept as zero). The receiver upon receiving such
UPDATEs will know that since the ECMP_NEXT_HOP attribute is present in the
UPDATE, it needs to be added in addition to what it has already.

I guess the following text needs to be added in the draft.

The receiver SHOULD not remove any previous route and add the route
received with an ECMP_NEXT_HOP attribute rather than replace the previous
routes.

When advertising more than one ECMP hop with identical attributes the
sender SHOULD send a single update with multiple hops listed in the
ECMP_NEXT_HOP attribute.

When advertising more than one ECMP hop which do not have identical
attributes multiple BGP updates MUST be sent with the ECMP_NEXT_HOP
attribute included to suppress route replacement.

But a more important question is that whether we need this kind of
mechanism in BGP or not. We already have multiple drafts proposed which
strive to achieve similar goals using different techniques and mechanisms.
I guess one motivation being, to allow inter-operatibility between
different vendors to allow advertisement of multiple BGP paths of same
preference.

Once we're through with the above discussion, we can sit down and look into
the nitty-gritties of each proposal.

Regards,
Manav