Re: [Idr] draft-litkowski-idr-bgp-timestamp

<stephane.litkowski@orange.com> Tue, 22 July 2014 19:38 UTC

From: stephane.litkowski@orange.com
To: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:38:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Cc: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@juniper.net>, idr wg <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-litkowski-idr-bgp-timestamp

I think we are inline …
But not all of the customers requires 50msec or < 1sec convergence time. For most of the traffic, some seconds is acceptable and there is no need to deploy dataplane protection for such purpose. But anyway, we have to track abnormal behaviors of the controlplane (race conditions, corner cases …) where it does not do its job correctly …

I was also thinking about propagation time of C-multicast route (at least type 5/6/7) which is critical … and customer cannot wait 30/50 seconds (or some hours … don’t laugh, it’s not a joke …) to receive the group membership …

Our proposal does not prone in anyway to use controlplane or dataplane to manage any redundancy …

There is a need to monitor BGP controlplane behavior and especially update propagation time : the basic use case is really to ensure that everything goes well … compared to the base line we evaluated in labs or theory.