Re: [Idr] draft-litkowski-idr-bgp-timestamp

Thomas Mangin <thomas.mangin@exa-networks.co.uk> Wed, 23 July 2014 07:56 UTC

From: Thomas Mangin <thomas.mangin@exa-networks.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:56:24 +0100
To: idr-bounces@ietf.org
Cc: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@juniper.net>, idr wg <idr@ietf.org>, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-litkowski-idr-bgp-timestamp

Bonjour Stephane,

I am not at the meeting, so could only work from your draft ... Your proposal seems sensitive and useful to me and I believe it would be a useful addition to the protocol.

IMHO, adding some extra message processing would take some CPU time, taking this CPU from the propagation of UPDATE, so the format should be as simple as possible and require as little parsing as possible. It is not clear to me that a speaker can ignore the validity of the data before appending its TS. Forcing the TS to be validated at every hop would seems to be self-defeating. The format is as well quite complex to parse and I would be in favour of a much more simple one with less flags and/or options.

Regarding format proposed :

Type 1 and Type 2 and later in peer : 16 bits ASN can be coded using 32 bits - why make a distinction - we do not need to know if the speaker considered itself or was configured as a ASN4 speaker. Why not include ASN and IPs ( prepended with AFI/SAFI so it is possible to include other Family later )
Why not always include all possible information ASN, IP, IPv6 ( knowing that only some may be present ). At debugging time, it is not clear what would be most useful therefore having both the AS and IP should be better.

Receiving timestamp from January 1900, I am under the impression that most system have built-in Epoch function from 1970 and with 64 bits would not suffer from any issue with 2038, I wonder why you picked 1990 (which I realise is another option).

Regarding the Peer Flags,I would rather see all the information being included (ASN and IP). Debugging information should try to provide as much information as possible.

4.2, I assume this apply for prefixes which match the selection in 4.1

4.4, I would rather see TS being transmitted by default on IBGP sessions and explicit on EBGP ( easier to configure )

4.5.2 does not say how the new TS should be set. It is not clear if the summary option must be implemented or can be left out ( IMHO, this should be left out the draft and be left to be done by the external tool displaying the information )

4.6 does not indicate what must be done if two TS entries are in the both synchronised but inconsistent, like a time sequence of 1, 3, 2, 5 where a router found a way to go back in time :-) .... Should it be ignored or should this TS sequence be seen as invalid and discarded ( assuming each router is performing some validation of the attribute ).

Only skimmed over 5+

Thomas