[Idr] Question regarding bgpM2AsPath4byteTable in BGP4 MIBv2

"Kalpesh Zinjuwadia" <kzinjuwadia@force10networks.com> Mon, 17 December 2007 18:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:39:58 -0800
From: Kalpesh Zinjuwadia <kzinjuwadia@force10networks.com>
To: idr@ietf.org
Subject: [Idr] Question regarding bgpM2AsPath4byteTable in BGP4 MIBv2

I had a question regarding how to fill up bgpM2AsPath4byteTable table as
described in BGP4 MIBv2 (draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2). If a BGP speaker
supports 4-byte AS space as described in RFC 4893 and stores the AS-PATH
and AGGR attributes w/ 4-byte ASN, there won't be AS4-PATH and AS4-AGGR
attributes in its RIB. It'll generate these attributes, if required,
while advertising update to other speakers. BGP4 MIBv2 has
bgpM2AsPath4bytePathPresent entry in bgpM2AsPath4byteTable table. It's
description says that it's true if a NEW speaker is functioning between
2-byte and 4-byte AS space. It further says that the AS4-PATH and
AS4-AGGR are present in this NEW speaker. My question is - for
implementation mentioned above, how to fill up this table as AS4-PATH
and AS4-AGGR are not present and generated on need basis? Let me know if
I'm missing something here...

Thanks,
Kalpesh

Extract from draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2-05
. . .
bgpM2AsPath4bytePathPresent OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX     TruthValue
        MAX-ACCESS read-only
        STATUS     current
        DESCRIPTION
            "This value may only be true if this BGP Speaker
             is functioning as a router between ASs that
             are in 2-byte and 4-byte AS space.  If this
             value is true, then the NEW_AS_PATH attributes
             are present and the 4-byte versions of the
             appropriate path attributes are in this row.

             If this value is false, then the following values
             will be present in the row:

             bgpM2PathAttrAggregatorAS - zero (0).
             bgpM2AsPathCalcLength - zero (0).
             bgpM2AsPathString - zero (0) length string.
             bgpM2AsPathIndex - zero (0)."
        ::= { bgpM2AsPath4byteEntry 1 }