Re: [Idr] WG Last Call on draft-ietf-idr-as4bytes-11.txt

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Mon, 10 October 2005 18:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:00:40 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [Idr] WG Last Call on draft-ietf-idr-as4bytes-11.txt
Cc: skh@nexthop.com, idr@ietf.org
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Yakov Rekhter wrote:
> This is to start the WG Last Call on advancing draft-ietf-idr-as4bytes-11.txt
> to a Proposed Standard. The implementation report is
> draft-huston-idr-as4bytes-survey-00.txt.

high-level bits:

I don't think I've seen justification for this particular approach; if
this is superior to the others for some reason, maybe background could
be discussed a bit in the doc (e.g., in a missing "Introduction"
section).

Specifically, I don't see why we couldn't just simply start using
NEW_AS_PATH and NEW_AGGREGATOR and keep the old elements as-is --
changing the encoding of BGP messages based on the negotiated
capabilities seems a bit troubling.

An additional concern is synthetization of BGP attributes when
propagating messages.  One could ask whether this is really necessary
or not.  I think it would be reasonbly to require that each transit AS
which would be passing NEW_* attributes should be aware of them.
Further, this approach could have security considerations if so/sBGP
were to be deployed.

editorial nits
--------------

numerous nits, such as:
  - numbered status of this memo/abstract
  - references in the abstract
  - a non-ascii character

    For the purpose of this document lets define a BGP speaker which does

==> s/lets/we/

   NEW_AS_PATH.  This attribute is optional transitive and contains the

==> s/attribute is optional transitive/is an optional transitive
attribute/
(similar elsewhere)