Re: [Idr] Revised text for the 4-byte AS draft - IANA Considerations

Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net> Wed, 12 October 2005 16:39 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:01:35 +1000
To: Enke Chen <enkechen@cisco.com>, idr@ietf.org
From: Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Revised text for the 4-byte AS draft - IANA Considerations
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

If we are considering another round of this draft, then we may want to add
one further paragraph into the IANA Considerations section

namely:

--------------------

IANA is to create a 4-Byte AS Number Registry, where the registry's entries
for 4-Byte AS numbers from 0 to 65535 refer to the IANA "AUTONOMOUS SYSTEM
NUMBERS" registry, including listed reservations, allocations and special
designations. All future changes in the existing "AUTONOMOUS SYSTEM
NUMBERS REGISTRY" are also to be treated in the same way in the 4-Byte
AS number registry. No further 4-Byte AS Number reservations or special
designations apart from those noted here are proposed by this document.

-------------------

Is this proposed text in the IANA Considerations of the draft acceptable
to the WG? (Its either that or we need to do a special  purpose document
later on in order to open up this IANA registry.)

The alternative is to propose an augmentation of the existing AS number
registry where the first 65536 numbers are noted as "2-Byte compliant"
numbers, and the remainder of the registry are "4-Byte-only" values. I do not
recall seeing any precedent here in the IANA registries as to which is a
better way to go, but at least the text proposed here is a placeholder
that can be reviewed by the IANA during the IESG evaluation. If there is
a better idea as to the best way to undertake the IANA registry, then it
can be considered at that point in time.

regards,

   Geoff