Re: [Idr] draft-jakma-mrai-dep-00 (fwd)

Pedro Marques <roque@juniper.net> Wed, 26 November 2008 18:12 UTC

From: Pedro Marques <roque@juniper.net>
To: Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:32:01 -0800
Cc: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>, idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-jakma-mrai-dep-00 (fwd)
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

On Nov 25, 2008, at 11:59 PM, Olivier Bonaventure wrote:

> Pedro,
>>
>> In general my recommendation for MRAI values would be 0 for eBGP
>> and 0
>> for iBGP. As the draft correctly explains calculating a value that
>> best
>> fits the network is a very tricky business.
>
> I would not recommend using the same MRAI timer for iBGP and eBGP.
> In a
> large AS using route reflectors or confederations, we are often in a
> situation where some routers of the AS learned an alternate path but
> did
> not distribute it widely due to the alternate paths being hidden by
> border routers

How does applying MRAI help in this case ? And how does having an
higher value for eBGP rather than iBGP help ?

It seems that in your scenario the faster the route propagation the
better.

> (e.g. different local-pref or longer AS-Path), router
> reflectors or at the borders of confederations. See e.g.
> http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/publications/quantifying-bgp-routes-diversity-insi
> but discussions with operators showed that this is true for other
> networks.
>
> In such large ASes, when a link fails iBGP should converge first in
> order to allow all routers to learn the alternate path and advertise
> the
> alternate path over eBGP sessions.

What if your alternate path happens to be being an eBGP peer ?

Dest prefix  is source by AS A

AS A connects to AS B preferentially and has fallback routing though
AS C. Where C only advertises destination prefix if it is not
otherwise know. AS D is transit for both B and C.

Convergence requires D to send withdrawal to C to receive the
alternate path back.

It is not unheard off to have such arrangements.

Please do keep in mind that i didn't suggest that the values (0, 0)
are the best for your network and for the scenario that you are trying
to optimize. I'm merely suggesting that as general values for the
generic case (0, 0) are hard to beat... and they work just fine.