Re: [Idr] The IDR WG has placed draft-spaghetti-idr-deprecate-8-9-10 in state "Candidate for WG Adoption"

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Thu, 30 June 2022 16:47 UTC

From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:46:22 -0400
Cc: Nick Hilliard <nick@foobar.org>, Sue Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
To: Bruno Decraene <bruno.decraene@orange.com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] The IDR WG has placed draft-spaghetti-idr-deprecate-8-9-10 in state "Candidate for WG Adoption"

The issues aren't new nor have they changed much.

The following is a presentation I gave at prior IETFs and periodically give again to our internal developers.

https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/97/slides/slides-97-idr-code-point-management-02 <https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/97/slides/slides-97-idr-code-point-management-02>

(And even giving this presentation, my employer still screws up.)

At some point, "IETF"[1] may wish to consider the ownership of public code points and whether it wants to get into the business of suing companies that mis-use them.

-- Jeff

[1] "IETF" is a particular bit of legal fiction.  See usual presentations on what the actual legal entities are that constitute the IETF activities.