Re: [Idr] BGP MIB v2 input

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Mon, 26 March 2007 13:33 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:32:50 -0400
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] BGP MIB v2 input
Cc: idr@ietf.org

#2 is an intriguing idea. Existing UI implementations already cover
having multiple "processes" access the routing table simultaneously.
However, I think this may have some interesting implementation
headaches.  Could you please comment on them?

- This would require set/write access to the MIB, correct?  If so,
  that's one of the things that people expressed serious reservations
  about for any purpose previously.  If not, are people on board with
  dynamic queries using get operations where getnext wouldn't work?
- The results would likely be some sort of dynamically created OID tree
  for each query.  UIs such as a CLI tend to have reasonably well
  understood lifetimes for their route table walking routines, but MIBs
  have a much less well defined interface.  Additionally, if you're
  running the same query over and over, you may end up with multiple
  views instatiated which may have excessive overhead.  Further, you
  don't have any sort of static OID you can use to monitor the state of
  a particular route.
- The results of this query would seem to be the same MIB structure as
  one would have for the entire routing table.  MIB structure-wise, I
  don't think we save any complexity.

If these premises are true to one extent or another, that still leads to
an interesting possibility.  We could still have the necessary query
objects.  The result would then be a rowpointer to the root of the
existing routing table's subtree that matched the query.  There would be
no need to dynamically generate views of the routing table, however
there would need to be a little intelligence in the querying routine to
stop walking after you've hit a less specific route.

> #3 is straightforward, especially since between #1 and #2
> we're probably changing most of the places you see an
> AS number anyway.

The choice I made in the updates was to simply have the base routing
table be 4-byte aware.  The annoying case is a 2-byte to 4-byte
transition speaker where three versions of the objects may be present:
The active derived set, the received 2-byte path attributes and the
received 4-byte path attributes.  In the interest of simplicity in the
base MIB, I'm suggesting the additional transitional views be left to an
extention MIB.

-- Jeff