Re: [Idr] BGP MIB v2 input

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Mon, 26 March 2007 05:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:40:40 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] BGP MIB v2 input

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Bill Fenner wrote:
> It may be worth breaking this down into areas of limitation of the
> current MIB:
> 1. v6 peer support
> 2. v6 and other NLRI support
> 3. 4-byte AS support
> 4. extra counters desired
> (Others?)
..

As I mentioned at the mike, I believe the counters for prefixes
rejected by policy (whether this also includes AS-path loops, invalid
next-hops etc. doesn't matter to me) apart from those that are
accepted by policy but not necessarily the preferred ones right now.

This can be used for monitoring how well BGP prefix filters etc. are
functioning.  As a bonus, it'd be nice to be able to see which
prefixes are stuck in the inbound policy filter, but that's not
mandatory.

Support for reporting information on IPv6 peers and non-IPv4 NLRIs
would also be very welcome.

Below is some information about what some implementations do:

Juniper reports the following support on their web page (which we are
already using) for JunOS:

==8<==
Internet draft draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2-04.txt, Definitions of
Managed Objects for the Fourth Version of Border Gateway Protocol
(BGP-4), Second Version (only the objects jnxBgpM2PrefixInPrefixes,
jnxBgpM2PrefixInPrefixesAccepted, and
jnxBgpM2PrefixInPrefixesRejected)
==8<==

[Note: they actually support slightly more than that, e.g., most
or all of peer-status objects, but for example not dumping all the
BGP routes using SNMP.]

With the MIB at:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos82/swconfig82-net-mgmt/html/mib-jnx-bgpmib2.txt

Note: Juniper's current implementation of
BgpM2PrefixInPrefixesRejected is broken as it counts all non-active
routes instead of those rejected by policy.

Surfing around a bit, Cisco IOS XR 3.4 at least claims to support
draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2-05.txt (though under 'BGP Next Hop Tracking
enhancements' so I suspect they don't implement the full MIB either).

In some other software trains, Cisco also seems to support some of the
features of the new BGP mib, such as the number of 'received routes'
but not the whole MIB as such:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802259e0.html#wp1059248