Re: [ietf-smtp] Should we update an RFC if people refuse to implement parts of it ?

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 25 May 2021 20:07 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 16:06:49 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane@dukhovni.org>
cc: ietf-smtp@ietf.org, YAO Jiankang <yaojk@cnnic.cn>, art-ads@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-smtp] Should we update an RFC if people refuse to implement parts of it ?

Victor, John, and probably others,

(explicitly adding Jiankang and the ART ADs in case they not
been following this list closely.)

In addition to believing the text is probably right as it now
appears, I should be explicit about why I'm pushing back on
doing anything about this other that reassuming implementers who
use A-labels that no one is likely to call the Protocol Police.

The other reasons, and the more important ones, are completely
pragmatic.  First, given the heavy dependencies of the SMTPUTF8
documents on RFCs 5321 and 5322 and that the latter are being
revised, I think it would not be helpful to revises the SMTPUTF8
documents until after we have finished with the revisions of the
base documents.  As I assume others have noticed, those
revisions are not proceeding quickly... and, wherever the fault
lies, is it not with Pete or myself. Second, even if there is
sufficient energy to do serious work on email (and the rate of
progress in EMAILCORE could be interpreted as evidence to the
contrary), there is ample evidence (painful to me personally)
that there is little or none of the combined knowledge,
expertise, and energy to do serious i18n work.  Revision of
these specs requires knowledge and interest in both (and, for
this particular case, specific knowledge and experience with
some of the subtle tradeoffs in IDNA2008).  And finally, unless
I have misread the signals from the ADs, we are not likely to
see many (if any at all) no-WG, AD-sponsored standards track
documents about which there is any controversy.  In the case,
the controversies are already clear from this fairly short
thread.  So, unless someone is really to propose a WG and make a
serious suggestion about where the energy is going to come from
--especially when EMAILCORE is still going on-- well...

I would add to this disclaimer that my hope and expectation when
the EAI WG wound down was that fully conforming implementations
would deploy rapidly and extensively enough that, by the time we
got around to revising 5321 and 5322, we could just fold most of
those specs in, maybe talking about "minimal" and "recommended"
(i.e., fully internationalized) implementations.  Silly me.

best,
   john

--On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 15:32 -0400 Viktor Dukhovni