Re: Meetings in other regions

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Fri, 18 August 2006 05:05 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:05:50 -0400
To: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Meetings in other regions

Hello;

On Aug 17, 2006, at 8:44 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:

> At 6:46 AM -0700 7/17/06, Andy Bierman wrote:
>
>>  Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>>
>>  Nobody flies from LAX to San Diego because it ends up taking
>>  twice as long as driving for 10 times as much, so don't expect
>>  lots of flights from LA.
>
> I fly between LAX and San Diego fairly often.  There are two
> airlines that offer flights at least every hour throughout the
> day.  During some periods the flights are every half hour.  You can
> generally connect in LAX without going through security again
> (unless arriving into LAX on an international flight).
>
> It doesn't really work to apply typical logic to airline fares.
> That is, you can't predict a fare based on

Truer words were never typed.

> distance or number of connections.  While it can be expensive to
> purchase a separate ticket between SAN and LAX, this is rarely
> done.  Usually a the fare is from point A to SAN and back.  In some
> cases it is slightly more than from point A to LAX and back, but
> often it is less.  Sometimes it is a lot less.  I'd be willing to
> believe that there are cases where it is a lot more, but I haven't
> personally seen them.

When I have seen be a lot more is at the last minute from the East
Coast (alas, the form of
much of my business travel). All I am saying is, if the last minute
fare to San Diego is too pricey, try LAX or
Long Beach or John Wayne and consider the drive.

Of course, no one who lives in the LA basin is likely to need our
help on how to get to San Diego, so I was thinking about people
flying in from far away.

> I'm a great believer in the train between SAN and LA, by the way.
> I've taken it a number of times and always prefer it to driving.
> Note that for a slight extra charge you can get an upgrade to
> 'custom class' where you get a larger seat, a power outlet, and
> something called a snack.  There are terrific views of the pacific
> ocean and beaches during the latter half of the trip, and for much
> of it the train is right on the sand.

I have heard that this is one of the best train trips in the US, and
I have always wanted to take it, especially at Sunset. Can you get it
near the coast (more specifically, near one of the 3 coastal
airports), or do you have to go all the way to Union Station ?

> The immigration checkpoint seems to be dormant for a year or so
> now. The electronic pass lanes have been turned off, the signs
> warning you to be prepared to stop have been removed, the officers
> standing in the lanes inspecting cars are gone.  The main structure
> is still there, and there are still border patrol cars at the
> sides, but that's it.

Interesting, given other news.

> --
> Randall Gellens