RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mif-current-practices-09.txt> (Current Practices for Multiple Interface Hosts) to Informational RFC

<pierrick.seite@orange-ftgroup.com> Tue, 26 April 2011 09:56 UTC

Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mif-current-practices-09.txt> (Current Practices for Multiple Interface Hosts) to Informational RFC
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:55:45 +0200
From: pierrick.seite@orange-ftgroup.com
To: sm@resistor.net, ietf@ietf.org
Cc: mrw@painless-security.com

Thanks for the review. I've modified the draft according to your comments. Please see inline for more details.

BR,
Pierrick

Thanks.

> In Section 3.2.1.3:
>
>    "Windows uses a host-wide "effective" server list for an actual query,
>     where the effective server list may be different for different names.
>     In the list of DNS server addresses, the first server is considered
>     the "primary" server, with all other servers being secondary."
>
> I suggest using "preferred" and avoid "primary" or "secondary" when
> discussing DNS servers in this context.

I see your point, but the section describes the behaviour of a particular OS and "primary" or "secondary" is the terminology used by this OS.

> In Section 3.2.1.3:
>
>    "The Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) DHCP Client [ISCDHCP] and its
>     derivative for OpenBSD [OPENBSDDHCLIENT] can be configured with
>     specific instructions for each interface.  However, each time new
>     configuration data is received by the host from a DHCP server,
>     regardless of which interface it is received on, the DHCP client
>     rewrites the global configuration data, such as the default routes
>     and the DNS server list (in /etc/resolv.conf) with the most recent
>     information received.  Therefore, the last configured interface
>     always become the primary one.  The ISC DHCPv6 client behaves
>     similarly.:
>
> That rewrite can be overridden for OpenBSD dhclient (
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#DHCPclient ).

Good point, I've modified the draft accordingly. Thanks.