Re: List of volunteers for the 2020-2021 NomCom

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 29 June 2020 21:57 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 23:57:21 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "Andrew G. Malis" <agmalis@gmail.com>
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: List of volunteers for the 2020-2021 NomCom
References: <159336028613.24238.3976538366030551355@ietfa.amsl.com> <183EB027-B2EA-4CAC-AB7F-4135CC5EFA06@att.com> <9859.1593390955@localhost> <8ED40272-57A9-4B7C-A9BD-4348A4052FE9@akamai.com> <CAChr6SxvQN=EAMAFF72A+ArQqY8vHvOP9bjoa0gP18o-F3+3uQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAKRbAfAp6ZMjVGnvcEmg9niDACYMYjn7JfZc3-9TKCJ3edZbpA@mail.gmail.com> <5FB59A57-FBF7-448E-BEA0-955541203989@akamai.com> <20200629191302.GA34130@faui48f.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <CAA=duU2MerL3=4xz0raNqhD5XSpwRHeWnD_BV54hruGyvcAJDQ@mail.gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 05:11:00PM -0400, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
> Toerless,
>
> As Spencer says, the current rule (which is well documented in section 4.17
> of RFC 8713) is intended (for better or worse) to prevent NomCom from being
> made up of a small set of affiliations.

Sure, but but if some part of the IETF community comes
from an industry which for better or worse is structured into
fewer large companies than other parts of the community then it
puts this part of the community at a disadvantage.

I am looking at this in comparison with IMHO similar difficult
constructs. Aka: In ITU, each country has one vote. Is this fair
wrt. e.g.: USA/China with one vote each vs. E.g.: Europe or
Africa ? We are just seeing what this leads to. Even the electoral
college in the USA recognizes difference in size between states.

> I think that we're all in agreement that the more diversity in the I*, the
> better. Which implies that the more diversity on the NomCom, the better.
> However, there are very few levers that the IETF actually has to produce
> NomCom diversity other than affiliation.

How about we introduced a rule saying that there can be at most
two Nomcom people from one country ? That would create a lot more
diversity. Huh ? Unfair ? Why ? Because it affects more candidates than
the vendor role ? How is that a good argument if we are after diversity ?

I could equally say that the NomCom procedures suppress the diversity
from all the different voices just because they work for one company
instead of oh, for example a loyalty group built as a franchise
around a popular business model.

> If you have a better idea, propose an update to RFC 8713.

The first thing is for IETF attendants to even start thinking about
whether the current scheme is fair. I think most do. I don't. I also
said that the first stage of updating RFC8713 would be to consider
better acknowledging this fact and wondering if this is still appropriate
under the evolution in the community. I for once don't think it is
anywhere as useful as it might have been in the past. Definitely not
by itself as a one-off it is right now.

Cheers
    Toerless

--