Re: RFC5378 alternate procedure (was: Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary)

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 16 December 2008 08:53 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:53:45 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Subject: Re: RFC5378 alternate procedure (was: Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary)
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Material comments:

- Section 3: RFC 5378 expected the date on which 5378 was effective to
be set by the Trust (section 2.1), and explicitly did not want to cast
into RFC stone the procedure by which the changeover date was determined.

- I disagree with the decision to allow *all* of a submission, including
new text, to be 3978-boilerplated. As I've said before, my preferred
resolution mechanism is to have a mechanism available (probably
front-page disclaimer + details in the Contributors section) for listing
pre-5378 sources from which material was copied without 5378 permission
being granted by the authors.
I believe the continued production of material that is licensed under
3978 only will be long-term harmful to the state of the IETF's IPR
confusion.

                          Harald