RE: Reviving watersprings.org.

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 02 July 2014 19:13 UTC

Subject: RE: Reviving watersprings.org.
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
To: adrian@olddog.co.uk
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 20:13:28 +0100
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

Hi.

I also quite liked the watersprings interface and was saddened by its
demise.  However, Henrik's draft searching scheme does most of what I
need and the interface at tools.ietf.org/html/draft... gives you the
access to all the versions and output renderings.

The only thing lacking is the ability to have a nicely formatted and
resonably compact list of all the drafts ever made starting with a given
letter.  Useful for idle browsing and finding drafts you can't quite
remember the title or authors of.

Warren: If you have time and enthusiasm I'd be inclined to see if a
couple of extra screens could be added to what we have already rather
than reimplementating a separate Watersprings clone since the back end
is already in place.

I don't think that putting back what Watersprings had exactly would give
you any more ancient history.  I seem to remember that it didn't have
drafts earlier than about 1995, but it's a long time since I checked
that ;-). I did when I was looking for Nimrod routing history and other
stuff for the routing history RFC.

The current tool has a smattering of moderately ancient history already:

Some of the suggestions for IPng are there:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-crocker-ip-encaps-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-deering-sip-00
(The REAL SIP!)

but I suspect the list is incomplete - however unless the file archives
are lurking in some server, I don't know how we would know (did
ietf-announce exist in those days and would it help?)

Regards,
Elwyn